Monday, October 11, 2010

Choking and The Heimlich Maneuver

I decided to brush up on my Heimlich Maneuver and CPR training because Colin had a scary choking spell over the weekend. He had a large piece of cheese blocking his airway and could not breathe for 20-30 secs (felt like minutes).

David did several back blows until Colin coughed up the cheese. Thank God! We were SO relieved, and Colin was ready to finish his dinner. But my hands were literally shaking as I fed him the rest of his food. I think this scared me more than any fall or injury thus far.

Needless to say, choking is one of my worst fears. I'm literally scared to swallow pills and would still take medication in a liquid form if I could. I even took a CPR class, and I'm confident that I know the Heimlich Maneuver. I guess "knowing it" and actually "performing it" on your own child are two very different things. I was so grateful that David was home this weekend to help.

I hope to never need to use this technique again, but here is a quick video if you want to learn how to perform the Heimlich or just refresh your memory on a very important, life saving skill...



FYI...
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/first-aid-choking/FA00025

No comments:

Post a Comment