Saturday, April 2, 2011

Backyard Playscape

There's something about being outdoors that stimulates Colin's physical exercise. Whether it's the effect of the fresh air or the reaction to the sunlight (my child may be a human solar panel), I don't know. But take Colin outdoors, and he immediately starts to run, skip, climb and jump.

So I've decided that Colin needs a backyard playscape! The only problem is that we have a SMALL yard and a BIG project ahead. Did I mention that we have a berm in our backyard, a 25-year-old dilapidated fence, a mosquito problem and a jungle of overgrown trees? That said, I'm not afraid of projects - especially after remodeling our entire house. But this won't be as simple as buying a playscape at Toys R Us and putting it together. I will need to harness my creative side and start thinking like a toddler!

As usual, I found lots of great inspiration online. We don't have space for the usual "playground kit," so I'm thinking of hiring a carpenter to build a small rock wall, a slide, and a sand box. Hopefully all this research will help turn our backyard into a place where Colin can fight off villans, run from monsters, play tarzan and make mud pies. Check out this site where I did some of my research: http://www.bearsplaygrounds.com/access_freestanding_images/freestanding_components.html

If you have any ideas please let me know! I'm entertaining all ideas - even David's idea to turn the yard into a batting cage with fake grass and a rock wall in place of the siding. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment