Sunday, November 27, 2011

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas

I could not wait to put our Christmas decorations up this year. After all, I haven't seen them in two whole years! Last year I made the difficult decision NOT to decorate in order to protect Colin (and my ornaments) from total destruction. But this year, I was chomping at the bit to bring all the holiday decorations down from the attic. After all, I missed seeing my reindeer statues, snowy villages and those handsome nutcrackers!
To be honest, taking out my decorations, was like opening presents on Christmas morning. As I unwrapped each ornament, I smiled. I had almost forgotten how beautiful they all were and how happy and festive it makes the house feel.

Colin (now 27 months) can distinguish between "toys" and "decorations." And he only needs a gentle reminder 1-2 times a day not to touch (or climb) the Christmas tree. Despite his new found "maturity," I decided it would be best to decorate the house during nap time. And when Colin woke up, he saw our Christmas tree for the first time and said "Awwww, it's boot-e-full"(melts my heart!) Then we spent over 30 minutes inspecting every corner of the house for more new decorations.
It didn't take long for him to find the remote controlled Polar Express Train Set, a gift from his aunt Ducky on his first Christmas. Between the Polar Express and my Snowy Village Train, I think I can safely say that we have delighted sweet Colin with the joy of Christmas (Santa + trains = Colin's heaven on Earth)

And if that weren't enough, I think this is the year to start using the Elf on a Shelf. The premise behind the book and the elf doll is that Santa sends one of his elfs to watch the children during the day. Then the elf reports back to Santa every night on who was "naughty or nice." How cute and clever is that? I'll try anything that encourages good behavior, and if it works, the elf might stick around way into 2012. haha

So it's Christmas time again at the Peden's house!!! And I have a feeling this year might be our best holiday ever. Because what's more special than seeing your child's excitement on Christmas morning? Baking cookies for Santa? Reading Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer? Going to the children's service at church? Having kids is kinda like being a kid again. Does that make sense? It's been a long time since someone believed in Santa around our house. Let's hope it lasts! ;)



1 comment: