Saturday, January 30, 2010

Colin is 5 Months

Colin's 5 month mark brought us something new that we would rather not have to experience...Colin's first cold. Our baby boy is sick for the first time, and I've discovered that life with a coughing, sneezing, stuffy nose baby is no fun. In fact, if you walk through our front door, you enter the "hot zone." David and I are both sick too. This presents a whole lot of new challenges.

If you think you got little sleep with a well baby, try getting up every hour with a sick one. In this case, I can't be frustrated or grumpy. After all, I know what it feels like. I just wish I could teach him to blow his nose. A cold so much worse for babies! The "bugger sucker" or nasal aspirator (as they call it at the doc's office) is absolutely worthless. Can someone please invent a nasal vacuum please? I need max power for some of those things.

The next contraption that I would like to revamp is the baby thermometer. I've been told that if the temperature is taken under their arm you have to add one degree. I've also been told that the only place it's accurate is...down where? I simply can not stick a thermometer there!

I would like to fast forward through this week please. Please let it strengthen our immune systems and give us a whole new appreciation for our health.

Here's a picture of the little snot nose before he starting coughing on us...

5 comments:

  1. I am so sorry. I hope you all feel better soon so that we can play!
    Praying that you all can catch some ZZZZZzzz's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone did invent the nasal vac...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXGLdEVyTck

    Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope everyone starts feeling better soon! I can't believe it has been 5 months already - time is FLYING by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exergen temporal thermometer...best $30 you could EVER spend! Amazon.com It too had NO interest in taking her temp the old fashion way. My pedi recommended the temporal one.

    The only problem is that I have become OCD about it and anytime O is sick, I take her temp like 15 times a day because it is so easy!! She knows exactly what to do when I get it out. Hope you all feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. After fighting with the bulb aspirator& my then 4 month old daughter, I went on a hunt to find something better. I stumbled onto this product and it works wonders. My fear with the bulb was that it went too far up into the nasal cavity, the CLEANOZ product comes with disposable nose tips that fit perfectly my baby's nostril. I can quickly suction her nose. Since my daughter is in daycare, she is either always congested or has a runny/stuffy nose; this aspirator gets the job done quickly and harmlessly. I also use their very convenient Cleanoz Saline preservative free in single use applicators (drugstore.com).

    ReplyDelete