Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Confession

While I'm "blog documenting" I figured I would confess to a little mommy moment that's worth sharing...

Last week I was driving home from Houston with both Colin and Monster. Colin had finally conceded to take a nap on the 3 hour road trip to Austin. Thank God! It's not easy to get him to nap but I continue to try. I like to drive long distances at nap time so it shaves at least 1-2 hours off of Colin's car trip.

Typically, when I am driving by myself I don't make any pit stops, especially if I have both babies sleeping. It creates a logistical nightmare for one person, but this time I had to make an exception. After all, I had been chugging water to combat the 105 degree heat (packing and loading the car at noon is like taking an hour long bikram yoga class). So I had to GO...and BAD.

After weighing my options: 1. Pull over on the side of the road OR 2. Wake Colin up to take a bathroom break. I decided to improvise! (This is where it gets embarrassing). Every parent knows it's not easy (or sanitary) to drag a toddler into a gas station bathroom and it's not safe (or even legal) to leave him in the car alone.

So I made the decision to drive through Jack in the Box and order a large french fry and an empty cup. This way, both Colin and Monster could remain asleep while I relieved myself. Then we could peacefully continue our drive back to Austin. That was the plan. I made an excuse at the Jack window about how I was going to give water to the dog. Was that obvious? Do they get crazies like me all the time? I bet they were onto me. Anyhoo, I pulled into a spot WAY away from all the traffic and contorted myself into a position that was not at all natural and relieved my aching bladder. Success - and I had baby wipes - an added bonus.

I could still hear Colin snoring and my plan had worked. Well almost. I was left holding the bag (so to speak) more like the cup. What am I going to do with this? I am certainly not going to drive away with it in an actual drink holder and risk spillage.

My next step was my fatal mistake. I made eyes at a garbage can and ran quickly to dispose of my evidence. With one click of the door handle, Colin moaned and rubbed his eyes. He was awake! Rats!!! I stopped abruptly hoping he would go back to sleep but the damage had been done. I had literally peed in a cup - in vain. That's a pisser.

I drove the rest of the way back to Austin listening to a Thomas the Train DVD. And of course, once Colin was awake, he made me share my french fries with him.

2 comments:

  1. Oh the things we do for our children. This is a great story!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have considered "borrowing" a diaper from Olivia, but never actually went through with it :)

    ReplyDelete